Saturday, March 12, 2005

Childlike Faith

I remember when I was a little girl always having the feeling that someone was watching me. Not in a horror movie kind of way rather that someone was watching over me, making sure I was always ok. Then one day I was watching tv early one Sunday morning, we only had 2 channels so I ended up watching one of those televangelist church services(I must have been really bored!!). So the speaker was going on about something when all of a sudden he caught my attention, he started talking about God and how he was always watching over us, always there, how we could always rely on him. Something clicked in my head, I suddenly knew that it had to be God that was watching over me, taking caring care of me. The speaker then started talking about Jesus and how he came to earth to die for our sins and if we believed this we should give our life to him. In a childish manner I decided that if God was taking care of me I should do what the speaker was saying. So the next thing I knew I was down on my knees repeating after the speaker. I accepted Jesus into my heart simply because I KNEW he was there taking care of me. After that I simply got up and went on with my life, not really knowing what I had done, and forgetting about it until a few years ago. I had such a childlike faith, it's amazing that at such a young age I felt the presence of God in my life. There were no questions asked just pure faith. If only we could all experience that in our lives as adults. I think there would be more people at peace.

2 comments:

Miss-buggy said...

I actually remeber feeling like someone was watching me too. I had decided that I couldn't be by myself unless I hid in the closet or the bath tub!! Crazy I know. It didn't take long to get over that though. Then I still had the feeling that I was being "watched over" and just went on about my days. Knowing though that deep down someone was protecting me. Now though I know who...

shari said...

Very cool story you have Michelle. Mine is similiar. I grew up in an unchurched home. There was no talk of God or Jesus. But I used to pray. Then after a family friend took me to Sunday school once, I finally knew who it was that I prayed to, that I sensed was watching over me. When I came home I told my parents all about how Jesus looks after me. The smiled and nodded. Then my Mom dug out a King James Bible that was given to me when I was born by a great grandmother I don't remember. It was most fascinating. I used to spend a lot of time looking at the pictures of Jesus and reading all the red text. When I was 9ish, I decided that I was going to read the entire Bible. I read all up to and part way through Numbers. All the who begot who lost me and that was the end of that.
But one thing that remained in my life, through all the paths I wandered, was a faith, and a rememberance of how I felt Jesus looking after me as a child. That memory kept my faith alive in the darkest hours of my journeys.
What a wonderful God we have, that He whispers to us even as we are being woven in our mothers womb. He never forsakes us.