Monday, March 21, 2005

Family

I've been thinking a lot lately about family. Family to many consists of relatives, these are the people in your life you are bound to by genetics. You can't choose your relatives, you are born with them. I have been blessed with a wonderful "family" whom I love dearly, they aren't perfect but who is? Then there is the family you marry into. Many will say you aren't marrying his family, just him. Don't be fooled, for better or for worse you now have In-Laws. Then there are friends, and contrary to relatives you can choose these. Friends are vital, true friends will stick by you not out of obligation but out of choice. To me, my friends are family. Then extending past friends are my church family, many of my church family are also close friends but it extends farther than that. There are many people whom I don't know well but still feel a closeness and support from. I know if I need anything they wouldn't hesitate even though they didn't really know me. I hope they know that it would be the same way in return.

I used to think I had a small family, I realize now that I have a small number of relatives and a huge family. It's overwhelming really, I am by nature a quiet reserved person who does not put herself on the line. Blogging is a huge step for me as it lets others know how I am feeling. I have been taking steps lately to let others in and accept support. I used to feel like a failure if I asked for help because that meant I couldn't handle it. Now I'm slowly realizing that I'm only human. God did not create me to take on life on my own. I'm learning to let God carry some of my burdens, and help me heal. I'm trying to see myself through his eyes and accept myself as worthy of love, acceptance, and friendship. Why is the basic truth so hard to accept??

What would we do without family?

4 comments:

shari said...

And as you view your family to be more than just your relatives, how much more does God see us? He calls us His children. We are all His family. Soooo cool.


And I, for one, feel very blessed that you do blog to share your feelings and let others in. I totally relate to having a hard time letting people in.
Blog on Michelle!!!

cari said...

I have some crazy relatives I'd be willing to share with you....

Michelle said...

So kind of you to share....

Miss-buggy said...

I struggle with realizing that people care. THat if anything were to happen to me people would worry and care and support me. I always thought that the church family would forget me and not think about me but lately I have been learning that it is not true. It will take time. Just think about it, We all have the same Father too, wether we realize it or not.
"we are family, everybody get up and sing..."
You are like a sister to me and if I could I would adopt you as one. hehehe. Not that you would want to be that closely related to me!! LOL
Love you and I am glad you are blogging.