Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Awakening

Payton woke tonight screaming like she was being murdered, I tried to get her to go back to sleep, to no avail. So I went and picked her up, the instant she was in my arms her whole body relaxed, she stopped crying, touched my face and tucked her head into my neck and closed her eyes. I melted, it's so wonderful to be loved like this. To all those people who hear about other people's children and wonder if they should have any, don't decide about what you see or hear, listen to your heart. There's a joy that comes with parenting that is indescribable, a feeling that can't be compared to anything. It's all consuming, passionate and soul wrenching. A little piece of me, my heart, mind, body, and soul is living outside me now. I never knew love could be so big.

So I sat with her curled in my arms, looking at her with awe, she's so perfect. I still cannot believe that I helped create something so beautiful, that I am her Mommy. It's an awesome gift and responsibility that God has given me, he must really trust and believe in me. I talked to her for awhile, telling her everything I loved about her, and as I talked her eyes opened a little and she watched me intently and with such adoration that I began to cry. I love her so much it hurts.

I heard God in this moment telling me that as much as I love my baby, he loves me, and more. I can hear him listing off one by one, everything he loves about me. I could feel him cradling me in his arms, gazing at me with awe. He's asking me why I feel such self loathing, for I am his child and am perfect. Everything about myself that I hate, he loves.

How can I be anything but perfect when God created me?? God wants me to learn how to love myself. I have seen myself now as he sees me, felt the warm fierceness of his love wrapped around me, I have no choice now but to hold my head up with confidence, for I am beautiful.

6 comments:

Miss-buggy said...

Wow. What a wonderful moment. Amazing. I love the way God comes to us in those simple little moments to give you something that is so undescribable.
It's moments like you described that make me realize that being a mom wouldn't be all that bad.
Love you. And your little girl. I love the way she will look at me with those beautiful eyes and I see something amazing. I may be havine a bad day and you know. You give me the baby then it all melts away. Precious gifts from God hey?

Susan Kirchmayer said...

an amazing illustration of how much God loves us.

Kaylyn said...

You made me cry!! Whenever I see Payton I know that God gave you a perfect little girl. She is a gem and so is her Mommy and Daddy.

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle!

I didn't know where to post this but we wanted to wish you a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

Hopefully we will see you sometime in August!

Take care,

Love, Auntie Donna and Uncle Punchie

shari said...

Happy Birthday Michelle!!!

Victoria has nightmares and sometimes we have nights where she wakes up like that over and over again. Its been awhile since she woken up screaming, so I am hoping they are passing now. I read recently that it is not uncommon around 9 months - 18 months for there to be bad dreams and/or baby waking up in panick mode, needing comfort and reassurance from Mom and Dad. I was so worried about Vicki, so it was good to know that it isnt some horrible thing.

And those perfect "Awe" moments as a Mom. Those are our gifts, I think. Little glimpses into the awesomeness of God, and His love for us through the mother child bond. Whenever you have moments of doubt as a Mom, remember those moments. And know that God CHOSE you and Rod to be Payton's parents. He doesnt make mistakes!!

HUGS!

Stacey said...

Moments like these I need to have pinned up all over my house as reminders when I'm having a moment with my children that are so not like this one :)